Posts tagged Friday Fitness Find
As you head out for your weekend fitness activities – remember your sunscreen! Protect your skin with the thinksport LIVESTRONG Sunscreen. The mineral-based formula is free of damaging chemicals and works by creating a physical barrier from the sun, using Zinc Oxide, which means that it starts working immediately. It is highly water resistant, so you know it will last during your swim workouts or paddle boarding around Ladybird Lake. And best of all – while you’re preventing sunburns and cancer by protecting your skin with sunscreen, you’re also donating to help LIVESTRONG in the fight against cancer. The purchase of this product guarantees that a minimum of $1.5 million is donated to LIVESTRONG.
Pick up a bottle for yourself and your loved ones at retailers around Austin like Whole Foods, BettySport, RunTex, Mellow Johnny’s, Jack and Adam’s, Bicycle Sport Shop, and more or online at thinksport.
Have a wonderful, fit weekend!
The Austin Gorilla Run kicks off this Saturday, January 22 at 9am! The Austin Gorilla Run is a charity run with a fun twist – allparticipants run the 5k course in a full gorilla suit! This event raises money for the Mountain Gorilla Conervation Fund, an international charity working to save the world’s last remaining mountain gorillas.
The race starts and finishes in front of City Hall, followed by a Finisher’s Party at Fado immediately afterward. It’s not too late to join the fun! Registration closes today at 4pm – register here.
Whether you participate or just cheer on the runners (er, gorillas) – this will be a fun way to enjoy the fit culture in Austin this weekend!
When the weather is cold and rainy, it can be a challenge to motivate yourself to get outdoors for a workout. These Austin Fit Businesses bring the outdoors in – allowing you to get a quality workout rain or shine!
Indoor Bootcamp – Check out the group fitness classes at the HIT Center Austin. Their 11,000 sq. foot facility has turf and a sand pit, advanced equipment, and highly skilled coaches to give you an amazing workout. Their group workouts meet Monday-Friday at 6pm and Saturdays at 10am.
Indoor Cycling – Don’t let driving rain or freezing temps keep you off the bike! There are many indoor cycling and spinning classes in Austin. Here are a few to try:
- PedalHard: coached workouts by 6-time Tour de France rider, Kevin Livingston. Ride your bike on a computrainer to improve technique, speed and fitness.
- Flywheel: dynamic workouts on a spinning bike in a fun and motivating class atmosphere.
- Workshop Fitness : The “Zen Ride” is a fun and energetic spinning class. Workshop calls it a “cardio party”. Sounds like a good time!
- Pure Austin: The Pure Cycling classes take place at least 3 times a day and aim to simulate “real” style riding with sprints, flats, intervals, hill climbs and time trials. These classes are popular and a great workout for all levels.
We hope you enjoy this week’s Friday Fitness Finds! Add your favorite indoor workouts to the list by leaving a comment below or visiting us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/myfitlist.
It’s almost the weekend! I know you’re all excited to bust out of your office in a few hours to rest, play and maybe sneak in a little fitness over the next couple of days.
We have a few ideas for staying active this weekend, in our weekly feature – the Friday Fitness Find:
- Heated yoga classes at Black Swan: it’s 70° and sunny in Austin right now, but this weekend may be a little cold and rainy! Warm up with a “Sweaty Yoga” class at Black Swan Yoga. Black Swan is a donation-based studio, meaning that you pay what you can per class (the suggested donation is $10-15 per class). The Sweaty Yoga classes are flow-style yoga, in rooms heated to around 90°. It’s nice! There are two Sweaty Yoga classes on Saturday and three on Sunday (among their many other yoga classes every weekend). Check out their full schedule.
- Free bootcamps: if you’re looking to get some time outside this weekend, try a free Bootcamp. These 45-minute to 1-hour workouts are an effective way to get in a mix of strength training and intense cardio. The trainers will tailor exercises for beginners to advanced athletes, and as a bonus many of these groups meet in gorgeous parks around Austin! A few groups offering a free Saturday bootcamp this weekend: ATX Bootcamp Living, Austin Adventure Bootcamp, CoreFit, and Relentless Bootcamp. Check out the Free Workouts listings on our full site, www.myfitlist.com for all the details including time and location.
Have an awesome weekend!
We’d love to hear how y’all are staying active this weekend! Post it as a comment here to share with the MyFitList community. Then, be sure to check out our full site www.myfitlist.com for more details on hundreds of fitness groups, classes and businesses in Austin!